Featured Article by Organic Liaison Member Sunny S., who has lost over 60 pounds on the Organic Liaison program. With a new, healthier body, she recently completed her very first half marathon.
Lessons from my Organic Liaison journey that helped me complete my first half marathon:
1) Set flexible long-term goals. With weight loss, just as with running, you can usually see your ultimate goal sooner than you reach. Have a plan, be flexible when it comes to the revision of that plan, and then keep going. Rather than let unexpected changes to the plan derail you, let them teach you how far you have come and where you can go next with some focus and hard work.
2) Learn to understand what your body needs and what it’s really telling you. One of the best gifts the Organic Liaison program has given me is the ability to trust what I need and when I need it. By using the provided tools and expanding my knowledge about being healthy, I have learned which types of foods honor my body and make me feel great. I’ve also learned how to push myself as an athlete and how to squash all the potential excuses and self-judgments before they can sabotage me.
3) Build confidence from the present. You never know when you might need to call on your inner strength, so build up your confidence as you go. With each healthy choice you make, new challenge you overcome, and moment of success you earn, stop to celebrate. Fill your mind with positive examples of what you are doing. For example, during my half marathon, when I was feeling the need for motivation, I applauded myself for even participating in the half-marathon in the first place. It’s your journey and you are out there doing amazing things with each step. Why not celebrate and have fun?
4) Believe in what may seem impossible. Just like a year ago I never thought I could lose 63 pounds. I never would have believed you if you said I would run half marathon while training for a full one. I have learned that as I make healthy choices, I open myself up to more possibilities. I can now accomplish and envision things that I never could have before. Less than a year ago I couldn’t even walk up the stairs without getting winded. This last weekend, I ran 13.1 miles.
5) Have a mental game plan. With so many things, people, and distractions, it is easy to fall into old habits or sabotage. The stronger my mental attitude, the easier it is to face challenges and beat them!
Love Sunny’s Story?
Read all about what went through Sunny’s mind during her first half marathon.
For more inspiring member success stories, visit our Member Results & Testimonials Page.
For regular tips and advice on health, fitness, diet, and weight loss, register for a free Organic Liaison account today!